Well hellloooooo there!

2

Soooo... this is my first post. I never know how to start these things; Am I supposed to get all gushy and welcome you to my blog? Or tell you an alluring but blatant lie that by coming back again your hair will grow in thicker and chocolate cake will never make you fat?

Meh - none of them quite fit me. I'll just give you a little run-down of me and then we can skip this first-date shifting of the feet and where-am-I-supposed-to-put-my-hands-in-the-movie-theater routine.

Hi! My name is Sara.

I'm married to my high school sweetheart: he held my hand when we were 14 and the rest is history. We have two a-freaking-dorable children: Drew is nearly 4 and Livi just turned a year old. Though they're nearly perfect in every way, they quite regularly drive me to drink cheap wine and blare Stevie Ray Vaughn and/or Miles Davis after I put them to bed.

I'm a web designer on hiatus from designing web sites to stay at home full time with my monsters angels. I had my own business for nearly 10 years, but (surprise!) having two kids is a full-time job in itself, and I found myself drinking just a little too much cheap wine and blaring Linkin Park a little more often than SRV or Miles. So I quit my job. OK, so we should probably make that an active verb: Quitting is probably the more accurate description. When you own a business, "two weeks notice" is a sick, cruel joke.

I like Jazz. I love my Spurs. I love fonts and all things beautiful. My style is clean and modern and I have a great weakness for black and white and lime green. My husband hates lime green, but we still manage to make our marriage work in spite of his flawed taste.

I love to sew. My Grandma and Great-Grandma taught me to sew when I was a wee little thing, and while I've never really been good at it, it's always been a hobby that brings me comfort. My Great-Grandma had a Bernina that I would sew on while spending summers at her house. Oooohhhh, how I didn't realize then the glory my 8 year old hands beheld at the time.

I sew quilts. That is just weird to say. I still have a hard time saying "I quilt." First of all, it sounds a lot like "I quit," which, we all know I'm less than stellar at (see above). Second of all, it just feels so... well, like a granny hobby. And I love, love, love my Grandma, but you get my drift. But there are so many quilters out there reinventing the trade; taking a classic art form and modernizing it for our generation. And I dig that. And the clean lines that quilting lends itself to totally fits in with my point of view as a designer (to reference the fabulous Heidi and Tim).

And that about sums it up! I expect that this blog will consist of mostly my sewing escapades (cue Janet Jackson and 8th grade memories), but will probably bleed into some cooking, decorating, and other things I do to keep myself sane whilst taking care of the short people all day.

Read more »

2 comments:

  1. Lacey says:

    I am SO excited about this blog!!!

    I made a quilt once and I've always wanted to make another - I lacked the motivation or inspiration to do it. You're just the thing I need to get started again! YAY!

    Happy quilting!

  1. Yea! Another blog for me to follow!

Post a Comment