What do you see?

0

I never started out to quilt... but this was the quilt that made the decision for me. My mom teaches elementary school and loves everything Eric Carle. When I saw this fabric and quilt kit on sale last fall (and at the time had decided to make all my Christmas gifts - that was borderline certifiable), I bought it on the spot and decided it would be my mom's gift.




My poor mom. It's a good thing she loves me, because she gets the first attempt at every hobby I decide to pick up. Being my first quilt, we hit a few snags along the way, and honestly I may never read Eric Carle again. I learned how NOT to do a lot of things.

Though I had purchased a kit, my "fussy cut" squares were giving me grief and things weren't squaring up so nicely. Once I finally got it pieced and sandwiched, the quilting kicked my newbie ass. I thought that was the easy part?!

Live and learn, Sara... live and learn.

It also didn't help that I had jumped in using clear polyester thread (which also kicked my newbie ass). I sewed and ripped and sewed and ripped and drank wine and ripped some more.

6 months later, it's finally finished! I learned a lot... most importantly that a quick run through the washer and dryer will cover a multitude of quilting sins.



But you know what disturbed me most about the whole thing? Stabbing these poor little children in the eyes every time I sewed over them. I could almost hear their screams.

Read more »

0 comments:

Post a Comment